Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Pet Project

Once I get around to it I'll be remixing the latest Nine Inch Nails single "Only." Much like he did with the first single from With Teeth, Trent's released the complete master recording tracks for the song, except this time in a format other than Garage Band only. Once I download Sony's Acid software and quit my stucco job, I'll probably start working on it. Too bad I'm completely unfamiliar with the software and I've never remixed before.

Still, I have ideas. The original has some interesting drum and synth loops with a definite disco feel that I'll likely want to play with. I'll probably isolate the high hat loop and focus on it, but that's about as far as I've gotten so far in the planning. Maybe attach sort of a sine wave pattern to the organ loop if Acid allows it. Lighten the guitar. All in all, this should give it a very Mogwai feel. The real problem, of course, is the same one I've always had with Reznor's work; the lyrics. Great sound, but a little too melodramatic for me. Chances are I'll just eliminate lines like "I just made you up / to hurt myself." The following lines are pretty good, so I'll likely overdub and layer them. Hotness.

This is going to be such a trainwreck.

2 comments:

Donell said...

you should call it "Only (trainWreck reMix)" by DJ Gnome2k. Did you ever get to see "It's All Gone Pete Tong" btw? Awesome, awesome movie and just your speed bud.

Donell said...

you should call it "Only (trainWreck reMix)" by DJ Gnome2k. Did you ever get to see "It's All Gone Pete Tong" btw? Awesome, awesome movie and just your speed bud.