Monday, February 04, 2008

About time

It wouldn't be February (or March, that one time) if I didn't publish my list of my favourite albums of the previous year. I've actually had it prepared since the beginning of January, but what can I say? I'm a slave to tradition. Hell, last year I didn't even post one, I just alluded to it. That's dedication.



1. The National - Boxer
2. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
3. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
4. Radiohead - In Rainbows
5. St. Vincent - Marry Me
6. Basia Bulat - Oh, My Darling
7. Low - Drums and Guns
8. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
9. Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond
10. Feist - The Reminder

Last year was a great year for new music; I discovered new artists (Basia Bulat, St. Vincent, Rebekah Higgs, Menomena) and fell into deeper appreciation of ones I already knew. Ultimately, the year had to go to The National, who topped a phenomenal breakout album (2005's Alligator) with an even better one, Boxer. I hate to call it a grower, as so many have, because it suggests that you won't like it at first. It's probably more accurate to say that my opinion of it shifted; songs that I moderately enjoyed when I first listened to them became my favourites by the end of the year. It's rare for me that an album gives this many new impressions so long after its release. I hope that if you give it a chance, you have a similar experience. This is an album that I'll be returning to for years.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I absolutely love Spoon's album from beginning to end. I love it way more than Gimme Fiction. I like a bunch more on your list too.