Sunday, June 05, 2005

Back when The Day After Tomorrow was released, I avoided it like the plague. The trailer looked overblown, the hype looked overblown, and every single review said the movie was implausible and, you guessed it, overblown. This morning when I got up for work, it was just starting to air on one of the digital movie channels, so I watched the first half hour. This evening, I watched the entire film.

I have to say, the movie was enjoyable. The starring cast played their roles solidly, if not spectacularly, especially Dennis Quaid. The romance between Sam and Laura (played by Jake Gyllenhaal and Emmy Rossum) was a little silly at times, but most of that was due to the fact that as a disaster film, simply not as much attention was paid to it as it was in say, The Good Girl, where it was sort of the point.

Missing the point is something a lot of reviewers take far too seriously. Overblown? Implausible? Mr. Travers, eyes front and centre. It's a disaster film. A disaster film based on sudden weather changes brought on by global warming. What did you expect? If we believed it, if it didn't have clichés, it wouldn't be a disaster film. It would be a drama. Learn to make a distinction, or just please resign.

1 comment:

Lana said...

In a very biased Jake-Gyllenhaal-is-my-dream-man-don't-tell-my-boyfriend kind of way, I really liked that film. It was very predictable, and yes, implausible, but who cares? You watch movies to escape reality, don't you? It's not people really think that global warming is going to destroy the earth tomorrow, or the day after.